FOR APPLICATION GUIDELINES, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Applicants qualify to apply to the McNair Scholars Program if they:
- Intend to pursue at Ph.D. (professional degrees such as an MD, JD, MBA, PharmD, etc. are not eligible).
- Are a US citizen or US permanent resident.
- Are rising juniors or rising seniors by Summer 2019 term and have completed minimum 60 credits of undergraduate courses by the time of the start of their Summer Research Project/Internship.
- Major in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Psychology, Economics, Sociology, Political Science, Nutrition, Health Services Administration, or Criminal Justice.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average 3.0 (one a 4.00 scale).
- Rising seniors must identify a faculty mentor at the time of the application.
- Be either low income* (based on family size and taxable income) and first-generation college students (neither parent or legal guardian has a bachelor’s degree) and/or a member of a group traditionally under-represented in higher education (e.g. African-American, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, or Pacific Islander).
*To find out the low income guidelines established by the Department of Education, please click here.
- A summer stipend for research project/internship.
- Opportunity to conduct research under the supervision of an FIU Faculty mentor or at an external REU.
- Funding for materials and supplies for research project/internship (where applicable).
- Travel funding to McNair and discipline specific conferences across the country.
- Academic, personal, and career counseling.
- Graduate school preparatory workshops and seminars.
IF YOU WISH TO RECEIVE UPDATES RELATED TO THE MCNAIR SCHOLARS PROGRAM AND THE APPLICATION PROCESS PLEASE
ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED AS PDFs
- Brief essay (1000 words or less) describing your interest in becoming a McNair Fellow and how it will assist you with the goal of obtaining a Ph.D.
- Research abstract (150 word max) describing the objectives and the hypothesized outcomes of the proposed study. Please include the title and the name of your faculty advisor/mentor (if available).
- A copy of unofficial transcripts from Florida International University and other schools attended.
- A copy of your Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA).
- A copy of your parent’s income tax return, if applicable.
- A copy of your income tax return, if applicable.
- Complete response to supplemental questions in AcademicWorks.
- Two letters of recommendations from faculty submitted in the AcademicWorks system. Recommendation request for the McNair Scholars program will only go out to your recommender once you fully submit your application.
Priority will be given to early applicants.
If you did not file last year’s tax return and/or do not have a copy of your most recent FAFSA form, please provide other means of income verification.