Florida provides tuition and fee exemptions to eligible young adults. The exemption is authorized at public state universities (State University System of Florida), public colleges (Florida College System), and school district workforce education programs.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE DCF TUITION EXEMPTION?
For any student for whom the state is paying foster care, is a ward of the state or who is adopted from the Department of Children & Family Services after 12/31/1997, certain tuition and related fees shall be waived. Students who are eligible should contact their state agency to get the DCF waiver form. Each team you plan to attend the university the form will need to be submitted no later than the payment deadline date.
All forms and documents should be submitted to the Office of Student Access & Success in Room 205 of the Student Academic Success Center (SASC) or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FEE EXEMPTIONS ARE OFFERED TO STUDENTS IF:
- He or she is or was, at the time he or she reached age 18, in the custody of the Department of Children and Families.
- He or she was adopted from the Department of Children & Families after May 5, 1997.
- He or she is or was, at the time of reaching age 18, in the custody of a relative under s. 39.5085, F.S.
- He or she is or was, at the time of reaching age 18, in the custody of a non-relative under s. 39.5085, F.S. or,
- He or she was placed in a guardianship by the court after spending at least 6 months in the custody of the Department of Children & Families after reaching 16 years of age.
**The exemption remains valid until the student reaches 28 years of age. See § 1009.25(1) (c), (d), Fla. Stat.
FIU’S PROTOCOL TO PROCESS DCF TUITION EXEMPTION:
Beginning Fall 2018, students must submit the tuition exemption (first time only) to the Fostering Panther Pride program office in SASC-205. In order to process DCF tuition exemptions for subsequent semesters, students are required to:
- Meet with their academic advisor to discuss enrollment.
- Meet with FPP staff to verify enrollment. Upon this meeting, the DCF tuition exemption will be processed.
Tuition exemption will not be processed if students fail to meet with FPP staff.
For questions regarding eligibility or how to obtain a Tuition and Fee Exemption Form (CF-FSP 5220), contact your local Community Based Care Lead Agency or call Florida’s Independent Living Resource Center.
Florida’s Independent Living Resource Center serves as an information clearinghouse to address all areas of Independent Living Services.